In discussions with friends about privacy and anonymity on the Internet, there are always the same answers:
- If you have nothing to fear, you do not have to protect yourself!
- With encryption, we create a way for terrorists and criminals to face the law.
- We can not do anything against surveillance anyway.
And many other statements, have brought me more often to think.
Privacy: But why should you protect yourself?
Companies collect data about us.
The most common surveillance comes from companies on the Internet. Google, Yahoo, Yandex, Facebook etc. but also rather unknown companies like: OWA, Xaxis, Ad spirit, eBuzzing etc. continuously collect data about us. They are integrated into websites in order to provide website operators with analyzes or statistics about the number of visitors and their interest or to be able to place more targeted advertising. The proven phrase has long been valid: “Only targeted advertising brings something.”
That may well be true, because Google is very popular, also because it does not simply distribute advertising with the watering can, but rather coordinates it with user behavior or its interests. As a result, advertising is often not perceived as such, but some internet users even find these circuits to be helpful support by showing you information or products that match current interests. Free VPN also like to work with companies and authorities here. For this reason, caution is advised which service to choose! We have the free VPNs an article has already been written.
So far, all of this may be true, and success is absolutely right for search engines or advertising networks. But what about your own privacy? What if we don't like it when and “foreign” companies follow and want to find out more and more about us? What if we deviate from our real interests and are interested in other things on the Internet? How does this affect the way companies perceive us as a person? What do we miss if we only get a controlled view of the world and others choose for us? Do we really want strangers to have more knowledge about us than we would share with our neighbors?
It's a beautiful and stained view of things we get on the internet.
Secret services collect data about us.
Edward Snowden's documents have shown us all that we are constantly being monitored and spied on. Every single one of us all! Why is this happening? It may be a misconception by intelligence agencies that the information you collect may also help you gain insight. This has never been the case, but it makes sense to use the data you have not only for counter-terrorism purposes.
There are also geopolitical and economic advantages that can result from this. In interaction with a propaganda that we could never escape, it is optimized by the knowledge gained about individuals and groups of people, adapted like Google's advertising, so that it becomes even more targeted. The information you and I receive every day via various German media is already tailored to our thinking and wishes, and it is clear that there are also organizations that benefit if we think as it was planned.
Does that sound like a conspiracy theory to some people? Rationally speaking, it would be extremely unlikely if it were different! It is unlikely that the really big and powerful companies worldwide are NOT interested in how we think and that you would leave it up to chance what we see. That was the way it was in the Vietnam War, in the Cold War when it was a question of declaring “socialism” to be the enemy, and so it is even more developed today. We get the messages and notifications that are tailored for us!
It is a wrong view that is presented to us, aimed precisely at our thinking, with the aim of manipulation.
Governments collect data about us.
Why our own governments want to collect data about us can be seen very well in Turkey, Poland, Hungary or other countries such as Estonia, Lithuania etc. these are all "western states" that we would call "friends," but in all of these countries rights are being taken away from individuals.
In Turkey journalists and intellectuals who are critical of the government are arrested. In Hungary Opposition advocates will be made worse economically, fictitious procedures will be conducted to exclude them even after subsidies etc. In Lithuania “Non-citizens” are kept away from elections and offices, even though these represent 30% of the population.
Whenever these begin to organize and can also be tracked via electronic media, the executive and state propaganda machines intervene and destroy the reputation or ideas behind it. And the move from "prosecuting hate speech" to stigmatizing disagreeable people is just a "little one". Within weeks, the situation in other western countries can change dramatically, as long as this is necessary to keep the power of some elites (and they exist in Germany).
One could do something against one's own government, but as this is often supported by international partners, the people are then more powerless!
Some might now assume that we are powerless against all these facts. Of course you can say that, and in many ways it is difficult to do something about it, but it can not and must not be impossible!
What can you do about it?
- Do not avoid discussions about itbut also do it in the family, with friends or in the workplace. Take it true, around you, like companies, Western propaganda or even your own government try to get to know you, manipulate and how some even abolish lies or civil rights. They are seemingly small signals that you will recognize but they then change your perspective significantly.
Protect your privacy!
- Use the possibilities you haveto make it as difficult as possible for companies, intelligence agencies and also your own government to monitor and control your privacy, your interests, your communication or simply your opinion.
- Use one VPN- Service on any device and all the timebecause your activities should be as "private" as possible!
- Surf the Internet and block trackers and always log out of the website after using it (Google, Facebook, Yahoo etc.)
- Do not read media that you want to manipulate. When you realize that a medium reports unilaterally or asks leading questions to tell you. Stop reading it! Permanent.
- Listen to others "believe in you" - Form yourself an opinion.
- Supported organizations that are trying to change something and enable us to continue to enjoy more freedom and an open mind in the future. The money that you save because you no longer consume unnecessary propaganda media, invest this or just make your contribution to "freedom and justice without propaganda!
- Never let yourself be pressurized. Most Offers that are free of charge and promise you more convenience (free programs, online services, etc.) finance yourself by using your data. Therefore, carefully consider whether the benefits for you and your privacy also take this into account.
What is the reward for protecting my privacy?
If you expect that you will find a job faster then. Your partner will therefore be more attentive to you every day. The next tax statement will give you a credit.
Then you will be disappointed.
But as an individual and as part of the collective in your circle of friends, your country, your continent and even worldwide, you will make a difference. Our children will continue to choose what they want to live and not be forced to do by others. You will escape problems by not being put under general suspicion.
You will be able to react faster to changes and you will save a lot of valuable time by not believing in everyone and everything. We will all not be able to be simply "passed out" by ourselves.